VOICE. Developing citizens – Paths to core competencies through a problem-based learning project in civic education
VOICE is a multilateral Comenius project funded by the European Commission. It started in January 2011 and will last two years’ time. Educational experts and practitioners from different institutions from Austria, Estonia, Germany, Slovenia and Turkey are collaborating in the VOICE project in order to contribute to improving educational practice in civic education.
Lifelong learning and civic competencies are essential for each individual in modern, knowledge-based, democratic societies. As dispositions of learning-to-learn skills and active citizenship shape up in childhood and adolescence, schools can make a significant contribution to the enhancement of social and civic competencies as well as to learning-to-learn skills.
The VOICE project aims to address this issue by developing problem-based learning materials for secondary school pupils and a teacher training course on skills and background knowledge for implementation of competence-oriented civic education.
European Commission, Lifelong Learning Programme, Comenius multilateral project; Project number: 510806-LLP-1-2010-1-DE-COMENIUS-CMP; Duration: January 2011 – December 2012
Prof. Dr. Dirk Lange, Leibniz University of Hannover, Institute for Political Science
• Democracy Center Vienna (Demokratiezentrum Wien)
• Zentrum polis. Centre for Citizenship Education in Schools (Zentrum polis. Politik lernen in der Schule)
• The Jaan Tõnisson Institute. Center for Civic Education (Jaan Tõnissoni Instituut)
• Tallinn English College (Tallinna Inglise Kolledž)
• Leibniz University of Hannover, Institute for Political Science, Research Group Citizenship Education (Leibniz Universität Hannover, Institut für Politische Wissenschaft, AGORA Politische Bildung)
• Center for Citizenship Education (Zavod Center za Drzavljansko Vzgojo)
• Commercial High School Maribor (Srednja trgovska sola Maribor)
• Selçuk University, Ahmet Keleşoğlu Faculty of Education (Selçuk Üniversitesi, Ahmet Keleşoğlu Eğitim Fakültesi)
• Konya Provincial Directorate of National Education (Konya Il Milli Eğitim Müdürlüğü)